dmgd_mind

(no longer) miffed at MAS

10 posts in this topic

So I ordered a set of MAS catwalks from the warstore and they showed up today. Opened the seal, popped out the pieces, and put all the individual sections together. So far so good. Then, as I was setting up the catwalks in the layout I was wanting, I made a sad discovery-the only way they can have corners (and therefore change direction) is using stairs. Not only that, but it comes with just one support for a single gantry to be lower. It does come with two connector pieces that are supposed to connect walkways that are on the same level, but they can only work on the long sections of catwalk, aka not on the corners. This is because the support on the square pieces (the ones that you can make into 'corners' using stairs) block the connectors from attaching properly. As a result, the configuration I was aiming for is impossible and I wasted (or at least frivolously spent) 30 bucks. I was planning on using them as some multi-dimensional terrain inside a spaceship 'table' Im making courtesy of Gamecraft (here's the link to the spaceship stuff Gamecraft Spaceship Interior) I was going to use the catwalks in a big 18"x18" room. However, the corners/lower height were necessary to keep the room from becoming too tall and linear. Now Im looking at trowing another 30~ bucks at Sarissa to buy their catwalks. The reason I went with MAS originally was because I like the the style of their catwalks over Sarissa. :_crying__rvmp_by_bad_blood:

Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean to be bashing MAS as a whole (after all I bought a bunch of their Infinity tokens and they are B)) it was just me leading up to asking if anyone has bought the catwalks and found a way to make one level corners. Also, maybe there was a description on their site that I missed stating the limitations of the layouts, so it could be on me rather than them.

Okay, it was kind of a rant too...:streaming-mad:

Hey dmgd_mind,

That's a concern for me then.

They had a shot on the main page here with a MAS catwalk/stairs.

It went between two buildings and hung a left & went up a level.

I wonder how they did that?

I was thinking about trying something like it.

Now I'm wondering if they had to use two sets to have enough pieces?

If so, that's more then I was intending to spend.

Good luck, I hope you figure out a way to make it work.

Cheers Mate,

You guys should look at what you buy. It is quite clear what layout you get. It is also very easy to make the corners anywhere you want by cutting the long hauls and putting the support strutts where you want. This has worked exellently for me and it looks great. Go ahead and spend $30 at Sarissa, I suggest you look at the packaging first. Stop trying to blame MAS for your own shortcomings.

I don't think this message belong here. Bad form.

Well Grasshopper,

I guess I'll have to buy it so I can look at it, I never said I owned any.

I was expressing concern over dmgd_mind's post/info.

I have no desire or intention to argue with you.

So if I need to "Look at what I buy", perhaps you should pause before you blast someone by reading their post.

I said it was a "Concern for ME," nothing more.

I didn't go caustic and froth at the mouth and say anything rude or derogatory about MAS, or it's products.

Please point out where I blamed MAS for anything in my post.

I would suggest that you concider your words a bit more carefully before you Flame people, it would have cost you nothing to be a little more polite to others.

Also I am very aware of my shortcomings as you put it.

I'll see what I can do about curing arthritis, it's just one of my shortcomings.

Having said the above, Thanks for the info on trimming and fitting the MAS catwalk/stairs.

It was helpful, I believe I can get the result I want, with the MAS product.

Cheers,

Lone Pathfinder-> Do you perhaps have any pictures of your walkways to illustrate the changes you have made? I believe those would be helpful for quite a few people around here. :)

Thank you for the info pathfinder. Going off of what you said I might be able to finnagle the pieces into the right position.

And if you read the whole thing, yes it was a rant, but I wasn't trying to bash MAS. I was trying to let off steam/get helpful ideas on making the catwalks work.

Now Im off to find sandpaper...

So after a couple hours of planning/ sanding, I was able to get the configuration pretty much where I want it. It's a bit high, but I can make do.

Miffification redacted. (I apologize MAS)

So after a couple hours of planning/ sanding, I was able to get the configuration pretty much where I want it. It's a bit high, but I can make do.

Miffification redacted. (I apologize MAS)

Could you post a photo of it assembled, even if not painted please?

Cheers Mate,

If I can get my camera to work I would but...I've been trying to take pics of my minis for a while and no luck with that. Don't know what's wrong with it. I think something with the battery?